GET TO KNOW GOD
GET TO KNOW GOD
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”
- We hear Jesus say, “God so loved the world.” God’s love has no limitation. He loves “so”. More than we can imagine. But we have a problem that separates us from Him.
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,”
- Sin is a problem for us. This verse tells us we have all sinned. We have fallen short of God’s intended purpose for our lives. God made us to know Him. He has given us a choice to follow Him or to follow our own selfish desires, which is sin. In our sin we cannot know God and His love. We are lost and separated from God.
“For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Wages are a payment of what is due as a result of one’s labor. The just payment for sin is death. Death here is a spiritual death, a separation from God. We are alive physically but dead spiritually. If we stay in that condition we will be separated from God for eternity.
- But this verse has good news, “but the free gift of God is eternal life”. Wages are earned but a gift is given. God says He will give us eternal life. It is from Him. We cannot earn it.
- How can God remain true to His holiness and forgive unholy sinners? Because Jesus, His Son, has paid the penalty for our sin by His death on the cross.
- Second Corinthians 5:21 says, “He who knew no sin became sin for us, that we may be made the righteousness of God through Him.”
- Jesus arose from the grave to defeat sin and death for all who receive Him as God’s free gift.
- How can you receive God’s free gift of love and life?
“That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved, for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.”
- You can receive God’s free gift of love and life by placing faith in Jesus Christ. To believe is simply to take God at His word. With our heart (whole believing) we believe that Jesus is God’s Son who died for our sin on the cross and arose from the grave to live in us as Savior and Lord.
- To believe in Jesus will result in confessing that faith with one’s mouth.
- Do you acknowledge that you are a sinner?
- Do you believe by faith that Jesus, God’s Son, died for your sin on the cross?
- Will you now confess Him as your Savior and Lord?
“For Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
- To “call” simply means to ask in prayer. The Bible doesn’t require us to know more or do better or to clean up our life or to add to what Jesus has done for us.
Will you call upon Jesus to save you from your sin so that you can know God’s love and forgiveness?
Pray like this: “Dear God, I confess that I am a sinner, I am sorry. I need a Savior. I know I cannot save myself. I believe by faith that Jesus, your Son, died on the cross to be my Savior. I believe He arose from the grave to live as my Lord. I turn from my sin. I ask You, Lord Jesus, to forgive my sin and come into my heart. I trust you as my Savior and receive you as my Lord. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me”
When anyone calls on the Lord in this way, that person is saved according to God’s word. God’s word is true, you can trust it!
If you have prayed this prayer today to receive Christ, we would love to talk with you more about your new life in Christ. Tell us more about yourself and one of our pastors will be in touch with you soon!